The Pennsylvania Military Family Relief Assistance Program (MFRAP) provides financial assistance, in the form of grants, to eligible Pennsylvania service members and their eligible family members. Eligible members must have a direct and immediate financial need as a result of circumstances beyond their control. The amount of a grant is based on documented financial need up to a maximum of $3,500. Examples of such financial need include:
Support our Service Members through a gift to the Military Family Relief Assistance Program
The benefits described on this page are made possible by generous donations from taxpayers like you who designate all or part of their Pennsylvania Personal Income Tax refund to support Pennsylvania military personnel and their families in need through this program.
You can join the ranks of contributors to MFRAP by checking off the tax refund designation box on your state income tax return or by sending a tax-deductible gift to MFRAP, Bldg O-47, Fort Indiantown Gap, Annville, PA 17003-5002.
- A sudden or unexpected loss of income, real or personal property, assets or support, directly related to military service, or exigent circumstances affecting, the service member.
- Emergency need for child care for which the applicant lacks financial resources.
- Natural or man-made disasters resulting in a need for food, shelter or other necessities.
- The death or critical illness of a parent, spouse, sibling or child resulting in immediate need for travel, lodging or subsistence for which the applicant lacks financial resources. (Service members serving in OCONUS locations must seek assistance through military channels for emergency travel prior to submitting for assistance from PA MFRAP. A statement from the service member's command (LTC or higher) that such assistance is not available, and why, will be required with each application.)
(Exigent Circumstances – Emergency or extraordinary situations or conditions resulting in an eligible Service Member being unable to provide the necessities of living for the member or the member’s dependents due to factors beyond the member’s control. The term includes, but not limited to, natural or manmade disasters, loss of home, loss of employment, disability or serious illness or injury.)
Eligibility: The Program applies to Pennsylvania residents who:
- Are serving on 30 or more consecutive days of active duty with the Pennsylvania Army or Air National Guard or Reserve Components of the Armed Forces (Army Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Navy Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve).
- Are serving on 30 or more consecutive days of active duty with the active armed forces (Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard).
- Are serving on 30 or more consecutive days of state active duty for emergencies or duty under the Emergency Management Assistance Compact in the Pennsylvania Army or Air National Guard.
- Are members in good standing the Pennsylvania Army or Air National Guard or Reserve Component of the Armed Forces for a period of three years after completion of a qualifying tour of active duty of 30 or more consecutive days when the financial need is directly related to the member's active duty period.
- Are former members of the Armed Forces of the United States, the Reserve Components and the Pennsylvania Army and Air National Guard for a period of four years after medical discharge for medical disability incurred in line of duty while serving on a qualifying tour of active duty of 30 or more consecutive days when the financial need is directly related to the former member's service, to exigent circumstances beyond the eligible members control or the disability incurred in the line of duty of the military service.
- Are eligible relatives of qualified eligible service members in limited circumstances.
Applications: Application forms are available online below; or from DMVA, MFRAP, Building 0-47, FTIG, Annville, PA 17003-5002 or from PNG Family Assistance Centers. Applications, with supporting documents, must be mailed to DMVA, MFRAP, Building 0-47, FTIG, Annville, PA 17003-5002. To expedite the application process, applications and supporting documents may be faxed to the MFRAP office (FAX Number: 717-861-8124).
Each application will be reviewed for eligibility and need prior to submission to the PA MFRAP Fund Committee for approval or disapproval. No application is automatically approved.
Additional Information (PDF Files):
MFRAP Application Form
MFRAP Frequently Asked Questions
Military Family Relief Assistance Program (MFRAP)
Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
Bldg. 0-47 Fort Indiantown Gap
Annville, PA 17003-5002
Phone: (717) 861-6500 or toll-free at 1-866-292-7201
Fax: (717) 861-8124