Pennsylvania's Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA) has a dual mission: to provide quality service to the Commonwealth’s veterans and their families, and to oversee and support the members of the Pennsylvania National Guard (PNG). We fulfill our dual mission by:

Created by the Act of April 11, 1793, the Adjutant General Department was later renamed the Department of Military Affairs by the Administrative Code of 1923. The Act of March 21, 1996 changed the name, once again, to what it is known by today – the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs.

DMVA is one of Pennsylvania’s largest employers, with more than 21,000 military and civilian personnel in some 90 communities statewide. It is overseen by the adjutant general, a governor appointed cabinet-level position.

The DMVA and PNG are headquartered at Fort Indiantown Gap in Lebanon County. Fort Indiantown Gap features more than 17,000 acres and 140 training areas and facilities for year-round training for military forces, law enforcement agents and civilians from across the nation and is one of the busiest National Guard Training Centers in the country.